Why Study this Programme?
This Programme is designed to equip trainees with the right competence in knowledge, skills and attitude in becoming an all-round and competent nurse who is able to deliver quality and safe nursing interventions. Nursing is involved in protection, promotion and optimization of health abilities, prevention of illness and injury alleviation of suffering through diagnosis and treatment of human resource. A registered Community Health Nurse is diverse and dynamic with the ability to work in different fields of healthcare utilizing current medical technology and equipment, globally. Diploma in nursing holders can advance their studies to degree level or to nursing specialization field
Graduates can secure employment in all level hospitals owned by;
- Mission and/or private
- Healthcare providing institution,
- International and local Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Home based Care and Hospice/and Palliative care
- Nursing Homes
- Institutions like School, College and Universities
- Industrial companies and insurances
- Research institutions like KEMRI
Main roles and Responsibilities are;
- Nurses are responsible for treatment, safety and recovery of acutely or chronically ill individuals
- Health promotion and maintenance within families, communities and populations
- Treatment of life threatening emergencies in a wide range of health care settings.
- Providing excellent nursing care to patients.
- Maintaining the Hospitals policies, standard and procedures of nursing care.
- Championing continual quality improvement.
- Advocating for patients, treating them with dignity, according them privacy and respect.
- Communicating effectively with all other patients’ caregivers.
- Maintaining and observing infection control measures for staff and patients wellbeing.
- Upholding statutory regulations as required by the nursing profession and the laws of Kenya.
- Safeguarding all Hospital’s and patients’ confidential information and property.
- Investigating and escalating complaints and incidents as appropriate in accordance with the Hospital’s policies and procedures.
- Participating in ward and Hospital activities i.e. research, audits open days.
- Providing accurate documentation and proper record keeping of patients’ treatment.
- Utilizing the available resources effectively for quality service delivery, profitability and cost containment. Ensuring patient care, including medication, orders and treatment.
- Assisting the physicians/clinical officers in performing special procedures.
- Assisting in emergency nursing procedures necessary for promote control of changes in patient(s) physical conditions.
- Counselling patients and family.